You'll be introduced to the fundamentals of physical, organic and inorganic chemistry. Starting with atomic structure, fundamental particles and the arrangement of electrons in an atom, you will then move on to learn how to calculate amounts of substances and how to write formulae and balance equations. This core course also covers the main types of chemical bonding and structures.
In the second and third terms, you will build on the knowledge already obtained and gain a deeper understanding of the topics studied. Topics include energetics, rates of reaction and equilibria, exothermic and endothermic reactions as well as how to perform multi-step calculations. Modules also dive deeper into organic chemistry and additional functional groups of aromatic molecules.
The Advanced Chemistry courses also give you a chance to develop your skills in planning, executing, and analysing practical investigations.
By the end of these modules, international students will be able to:
- Understand the structure of an atom and the driving force behind chemical bonds and chemical reactions.
- Understand the various types of mole calculation and their application.
- Attain a grasp of the behaviour of some main group elements.
- Understand the complexity and scope of organic reactions and understand the behaviour of some key functional groups.
- Understand more complex physical concepts related to kinetics, energetics and equilibria.
- Calculate the pH of various systems and understand the behaviour of acids and bases.
- Gain familiarity with aliphatic and aromatic compounds.
- Become competent in basic chemical laboratory procedures.
- Collect data – qualitative and quantitative – and analyse this data to make basic deductions.